You might find http://hellonline.com/blog/?p=55 helpful. It discusses some issues with parallel distributed searches and may be helpful.

How many documents are you expecting to index? And how many unique terms do you expect?

Chun Wei Ho wrote:
I am deploying a web application serving searches on a Lucene index,
and am deciding between distributing search between several machines
or single searching, and was hoping that someone could tell me from
their experiences:

+ Is there anything particular to watch out for if using distributed
searching instead of  searching one merged Lucene index?

+ What should be the size of the index that I am looking at before I
need to (or should be) turn to distributed searching to reduce
response/search time? I know it would depend a lot on hardware and request
frequency but I was wondering if anyone could post their hardware
info and index size as a reference of when/if they had to use
distributed search due to load issues.

Thanks :)

------------------------------------------------------------------- Grant Ingersoll Sr. Software Engineer Center for Natural Language Processing Syracuse University School of Information Studies 335 Hinds Hall Syracuse, NY 13244 http://www.cnlp.org Voice: 315-443-5484 Fax: 315-443-6886