To: <java-user@lucene.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: Size + memory restrictions

: We may have many different segments of our index, and it seems below we are
: using one
: IndexSearcher per segment. Could this explain why we run out of memory when
: using more than 2/3 segments?
: Anyone else have any comments on the below?

terminology is a big issue hwere .. when you use the word "segment" it
seems like you are talking about a segment of your data, which is in a
self contained index in it's own right.  My point in in the comment you
quoted was that for a given index, you don't need more then one active
IndexSearcher open at a time, any more then that can waste resources.

I don't know what kind of memory overhead there is in a MultiSearcher, but
besides that you should also be looking at the other issues in the message
you quoted from:   who/when is calling your getSearcher() method? ... is
it getting called more often then the underlying indexes change?  who is
closing the old searchers when you open new ones?

:
: Many thanks
:
: Leon
: ps. At the moment I think it is set to only look at 2 segements
:
: private Searcher getSearcher() throws IOException {
:   if (mSearcher == null) {
:    synchronized (Monitor) {
:     Searcher[] srs = new IndexSearcher[SearchersDir.size()];
:     int maxI = 2;
:    // Searcher[] srs = new IndexSearcher[maxI];
:     int i = 0;
: for (Iterator iter = SearchersDir.iterator(); iter.hasNext() && i<maxI;
: i++) {
:      String dir = (String) iter.next();
:      try {
:       srs[i] = new IndexSearcher(IndexDir+dir);
:      } catch (IOException e) {
: log.error(ClassTool.getClassNameOnly(e) + ": " + e.getMessage(), e);
:      }
:     }
:     mSearcher = new MultiSearcher(srs);
:     changeTime = System.currentTimeMillis();
:    }
:   }
:   return mSearcher;
:  }