Yes. It possible.
I've developed such search for our LAN shared files.

I'm using technique of rotating filenames to improve wildcard queries performance.
details :
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-java-user/200506.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]

Other improvements:
WildCardQuery is rewritten into ConstantScoreQuery.
Also I've increased IndexWriter.termInterval from 128(default) to 2000. Before this change memory consumption was too high.

Now index has about 10M docs and size about 4Gb (primarily because of storing full path to file) and runs fine with -Xms100M memory limit. It has simple web interface implemented with HTTPD <http://elonen.iki.fi/code/nanohttpd/> java HTTP server.

File list is refreshed every 3 days for every workstation.

For assessing network files I'm using JCIFS (jcifs.samba.org)

Questions?

Brian wrote:
Quick Question,
     Is it possible to create an index & search based
on file names?

Thanks,