I think it's best to have one small index for each customer, and one
large index for company's index.

Merging customers' contents with the main index will cost a lot of
resources, slowing down systems, while actually not necessary. If
indexing is done by batch job, there'll be a delay between content
updated time and index refreshed time. This maybe acceptable for some
cases, but usually for users' own content, they want to search it
right away.

With small individual customer index, indexing won't cost any time for
10~20 small documents. Customers can search their content right after
content is updated.

Chris Lu
Full-Text Search on Any Databases
http://www.dbsight.net