Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. I thought about the same, but somehow it didn't
seem like such a good idea... Now that I think about it, it would take the same
IO load (in terms of flushing many megabytes to disk) as optimizing in memory
with the FSDirectory.

Another weird thing we observed here is this:

During incremental updates to a previously optimized index, no matter what I
set the merge factor at, it seems to optimize or possibly merge much sooner
than it should.
More clearly:

I have an optimized index of around 150MB. I set merge factor to 300,
maxmergedocs to Interger.MAX_VALUE, minmergedocs (maxbuffereddocs) to 50000 (I
have 40000 docs in the index), and still it merges after around 50-80 new
documents. If I understand merge factor right, it should not merge at all, but
start a new segment after 300 new documents.

Of course this is a very artificial set of parameters, but I wanted to see what
goes on. Could it have anything to do with the fact that I close the
indexwriter after each batch of updates? Can anyone explain this?

max