Dmitry Goldenberg wrote:
For an enterprise-level application, Lucene appears too file-system and
too byte-sequence-centric a technology. Just my opinion. The Directory API is just too low-level.

There are good reasons why Lucene is not built on top of a RDBMS. An inverted index is not efficiently maintained in a B-Tree, and B-Trees are the foundation of RDBMSes.

http://www.haifa.ibm.com/Workshops/ir2005/papers/DougCutting-Haifa05.pdf

I'd be OK with an RDBMS-based Directory implementation I could take and use.
But generally, I think the Lucene authors might like to take a step back and
consider splitting off the repository and making it more extensible and
high-level.  Perhaps something like JSR-170 (Java repository API) may be a good
route to go....

If you have concrete ideas for an improvements to Lucene's Directory interface, please propose them to the java-dev mailing list, ideally as a patch.

Cheers,

Doug