Peter Keegan wrote:
Oops. I meant to say: Does this mean that an IndexSearcher constructed from
a MultiReader doesn't merge the search results and sort the results as if
there was only one index?

It doesn't have to, since a MultiReader *is* a single index.

A quick test indicates that it does merge the results properly, however
there is a difference in the order of documents with equal score. The
MultiSearcher returns the higher doc first, but the IndexSearcher returns
the lowest doc first. I think docs of equal score are supposed to be
returned in the order they were indexed (lower doc id first).

If that's the case it is a bug. If you can reproduce this in a standalone test, please submit it to Jira.

Doug