Erick,
Don't get me wrong. I agree with you 100 percent on everything you just
said, and have been advocating what you are saying. I turned to the forum to
get other peoples thoughts on the issue, feeling that my perspective may be
a little warped, and wanted to see what the community thinks. I think there
is a performance issue with or DB that I have never experienced in any other
project I have worked on, which needs someone with more specific domain
knowledge to fix.  I think Lucene is fantastic for what we are already using
it for (searching contents of HTML, colliding the values of database rows to
make them free text searchable). We have been using it for over 2 years, and
with very good results (once we got a hang of it).

  I for one think that native language searches are fundamentally different
than Discrete Database queries, I am just having a problem trying to explain
this to some of the people on my team, and wanted to see if there wer eother
POV out there.

Ananth

--
Ananth T Sarathy