AHA!  I am using the Search tab and have enteres the query :

location:Z:\install\logs\archive.log.D20060406.T141958

the query details says the query was parsed to

location:z

so if I escape the colon I see the new parsed query as

location:"z installlogsarchive.log.d20060406.t141958"

So, lucence does not store the file path exactly?! It converts it all lower
case! Is there some property I should turn on?

Plus, it is not storing the backslash. Should I be escaping these in the
index before storing them? It seems so.

-Bill