Thanks for the response, Jeremy.

Quartz seems like a great solution - are you running
it within the app server?

I think the benefits of doing this would be
convenience of messaging the search server to pick up
fresh indexes. Previously I considered a CRON job and
was thinking of making a web services call to achieve
the same thing.

The only thing that concerns me (and this is maybe a
question for the Quartz mailing list rather than this
one) is the spawning of user threads issue. That kind
of thing makes me nervous in an app server context,
but lots of people use Quartz for J2EE scheduling so
it must be fairly stable.

What was your experience of it?

Many thanks

Marc