Marc -

We built our index maintenance operation to assume a breakdown would occur
in process (because it happened several times.)  We exist in an environment
where "always on, always available" is a business requirement.  We also do a
lot of updates on a cyclical basis (every 10 minutes), so malfeasance in
index updates must be limited/eliminated.

We *don't* update the same index used by our searchers.  We have a
distributed system with the index allocated among a number of servers, and
the primary source index resides on a system that performs index management
(update, optimization, etc.)  The search servers are responsible only for
making search available.

By de-coupling these tasks, we reduce contention on both reads & writes to
the particular indexes (source index for writes, replicated index for
reads).  The net cost of this is duplicating storage of the index, but we
need a backup of the files anyway and disk is cheap.  For our operation,
this works like a champ and our availability is in 5-9's territory.

Hope this helps.

-- j