Marc,
To me it sounds like Lucene may certainly be a good tool for what you describe.

In terms of Hit caching.  Depending on how exactly you are using it,
lucene can be insanely fast, making hit caching not necessary.  I
believe it also does internal caching to some degree as long as you
are using single IndexSearcher object instance.

Somewhat related to your caching question...One thing I've been told
and strongly believe from experience is that due to the raw power and
speed of Lucene, sometimes the brute force approach to solving a
search problem is faster in terms of both implementation and
performance when compared to engineering an elegant solution.  For
many tasks, Lucene is really that fast.

If nothing else, it's worth putting together a prototype to see it
works well for what you need.  From your brief description, Lucene may
be perfect.

-Pete