From: Michael Duval <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Friday, June 9, 2006 12:04:10 PM
Subject: COMMIT_LOCK_TIMEOUT  - IndexSearcher/IndexReader

Hi All,

Has anyone else out there come across the shortcomings of the new
COMMIT_LOCK_TIMEOUT in regards to
searching on an actively updated Index?

It used to be a settable system property and therefor "semi" dynamic
across a system with multiple readers/searchers and
one writer.   I am aware now that it has access methods for IndexWriter
instances, however, IndexSearcher/Readers that
indirectly need to access the commit lock (to read it's segments) use
the final static COMMIT_LOCK_TIMEOUT in
IndexWriter.   There is no way of waiting longer or shorter than the
default (10000) milliseconds.

Perhaps there should be another constructor in IndexSearcher/Reader that
takes commit lock settings allowing for dynamic
blocking based on a particular implementation's needs.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Michael R. Duval

Senior Programmer/Analyst