Hy,
Im writing a kind of bulletin-board-software in java (servlet+velocity as
template framework, mysql5 as backend). As the whole database is in INNODB
and this doesn't support Fulltext-Indexes I looked for alternatives and liked
the concept of Lucene. But I got serveral questions:

1. Everybody says that Lucene is faster than a MySQL-Fulltext Index. But how
comes: MySQL can cache the results in RAM (at least when small) but Lucene
has to open the index on the harddisk uppon any search. Why is this so
performant.

2. (Connected to 1): Is there a possibility to tell Lucene to keep the Index
in RAM so the access is faster?

3. Is the following use of lucene ok?
Uppon every posting:
After inserting the post into the database-tables I create a IndexWriter,
write the new Document and then close the writer again.

Uppon every editing of a post:
I create a IndexReader delete the old Data, close the reader, create a writer,
save the document and the close the writer

Uppon every search:
I create a IndexReader and search.

Isn't it possible to reuse the IndexReader? I thought about creating it one
time uppon startup of the servlet and the reuse it. But as I read in the
documentation this would result in a locking issue uppon writing. Is this
correct?

4. I read about the possibility to store the index in a database. When would
you consider using this? Is this more performant that a disk-version?

Thanks for any help
Dominik