From: Chris Hostetter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 9:55 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Using more than one index

A couple of suggestions...

1) don't use multiple indexes.  create one index, with one document per
"thing" you want to return (in this case it sounds like books) and index
all of the relevent data about each thing in that doc.  If multiple
people
worked on a book, add all of their names to the same field.  addd all of
the dates to the book doc -- if you need to distibguish the differnet
types of dates, make a seaprete field for each type.

If you *must* cross refrence...

2) make sure you aren't useing the Hits API to iterate over all the
results when gathering IDs -- use a lower level api (like a
HitCollector)

3) use the FieldCache to get the IDs instead of he stored Document
fields.

4) don't extract full ID lists from all of then indexes and then search
on one of the indexes again with the ID list ... use the ID lists
generated from the supporting indexes (people and dates) to build a
Filter
that you can use when searching the main index.