Hey,

I found this thread to be very useful when deciding
upon an indexing strategy.

http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg12700.html

The system I work on has 3 million or so documents and
it was (until a non-lucene performance issue came up)
setup to add/delete new documents every 15 minutes in
a similar manner as described in the thread. We were
adding/deleting a few thousand documents every 15
minutes, during peak traffic. We have a dedicated
indexing machine and distribute portions of our index
across multiple machines, but you could still follow
the pattern all on one box, just with separate
processes/threads.

Even though lucene allows certain types of index
operations to happen concurrently with search
activity, IMHO, if you can decouple the indexing
process from the searching process your system as a
whole will be more flexible and scalable with only a
little extra maintenance overhead.

JAMES