I think Mark's idea is better for this. Although I seem to recall there being some caveats w/ multiple tokens at the same position, but I don't remember the details. I _think_ term vectors don't like it, so if you need them, you might have troubles. Perhaps a search of the mailing lists and JIRA might turn up something or maybe someone else remembers. At any rate, it may not effect you, so I would try Mark's suggestion and see if it works.

-Grant