hi miles,

thanks for the response.
I think I didn't explain my Problem good enough.

The harder problem for me is how to get the proposals for the
refinement?  I have a date-range of 16xx to now, for about 4 bn. docs.
So the number of found documents could be quite large. But the
distribution of the dates could be very different form one query to another.
I hope there is a better way than to collect all dates with HitIterator,
and do statistics on the data?

Is there something that could be done while indexing?
What would be a high-performance heuristic?

The same problem with other categories like the author: how to find good
proposals for a given result set?