Well, my index is over 1.4G, and others are reporting very large indexes in
the 10s of gigabytes. So I suspect your index size isn't the issue. I'd be
very, very, very surprised if it was.

Three things spring immediately to mind.

First, opening an IndexSearcher is a slow operation. Are you opening a new
IndexSearcher for each query? If so, don't <G>. You can re-use the same
searcher across threads without fear and you should *definitely* keep it
open between queries.

Second, your query could just be very, very interesting. It would be more
helpful if you posted an example of the code where you take your timings
(including opening the IndexSearcher).

Third, if you're using a Hits object to iterate over many documents, be
aware that it re-executes the query every hundred results or so. You want to
use one of the  HitCollector/TopDocs/TopDocsCollector classes if you are
iterating over all the returned documents. And you really *don't* want to do
an IndexReader.doc(doc#) or Searcher.doc(doc#) on every document.

If none of this helps, please post some code fragments and I'm sure others
will chime in.

Best
Erick