have you considered hadoop "light"  mesagging RPC, should have significantly
smaller latencies than RMI

----- Original Message ----
From: Simon Wistow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, 4 October, 2006 3:26:38 PM
Subject: Re: Searching documents on big index by using ParallelMultiSearcher is
slow...

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 08:14:38AM -0400, Haines, Ronald C. (LNG-DAY) said:
> I too am interested in learning more about a large scale distributed
> Lucene model.

I'm also building a large scale (billions of documents) Lucene index.

Prelimary experimentation with a RemoteSearch/ParallelMultiSearcher
combination found that there were issues with the RMI causing
significant blocking.

I'm currently playing around with trying alternative messaging
approaches so that I can also load balance requests.

One of the things I haven't decided on is the optimum size for the sub
indexes. Does anybody have any data on the overhead of file handle opens
to index searching size or have anecodatal evidence of similar
experiences?

Simon