Hi Simon,

Thanks for your very good detailed explanation, it really cleared my doubts.

Thanks once again,

Regards
supriya

Simon Willnauer wrote:
Hi,

In Lucene there are two types of index structure  compound index and
multi-file index. In multi-file index, when new documents are inserted
to an index, they are stored in a separate segment; this causes
increase of files in an index structure. Therefore, multi-file index
has more files than compound index.
Compound index type consists of three files; two of them are
"deletable" file that shows the unused files in index and "segments"
file that shows the segment names and their size. The third one
contains the all indexed documents and their field values. In compound
index all indexed files are merged into one single file. So, the
number of files in the index is minimized.
The advantage of multi-file is the time for indexing documents takes
less than compound file. Because, in compound file the indexed files
are in addition merged into one single file. This can be suitable when
the number of documents is large while indexing.
On the other hand, the advantage of compound file appears in
searching. Because, the total number of file accesses for reading data
are minimum in compound index. In contrast, using multi-file index the
file fetches increase because the program needs to open more files in
order to retrieve required documents from the index. This is important
while search time in an application is in consideration.

I do prefer to use compoundFile(true) as I work on unix platforms
otherwise you will end up with "too many open files" very often!

best regards Simon

btw: nice to see another person from Berlin on the list!

mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]