I'm not really sure what an approach like this gaines you ... it provides
a mechanism for ensuring that the lat/lon of all results are within a
bounding box arround your start location -- but those bounding boxes
are fixed when building your index.

couldn't you achieve the same thing using a "lat" field, a "lon" field
and two RangeFilters? ... except now you get variable sized/centered
bounding boxes?