Hi Yonik,

On Nov 29, 2006, at 11:16 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
On 11/29/06, Eric Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]
Also, should I keep one IndexModifier open for the life of my service/
application or should I open and close it when I get new requests to
add or remove documents? (I don't really have control over batching
unfortunately -- though I've certainly pointed it out.)

IndexModifier currently has very low performance with mixed adds and deletes.
You can keep the same one over the lifetime of the app though.

Assuming I call flush() after every operation (they won't be that frequent), if I don't call close() when my application shuts down, will I run into locking issues when I restart my application?

If you haven't seen it, another alternative that might fit your needs is Solr.

I just took a look. It looks very applicable and I'll look at it seriously for subsequent roll-outs of our site. For the short-term I'm too tight for time to change direction.

Thanks!
Eric