To: <java-user@lucene.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 2:15 PM
Subject: Multiple character wildcard search

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me how to specify multiple character wildcard
searches in "Term"

Below is my requirement

1) I want search all names that starts with Z (Z*)

2) My programme will receive list of names in JAVA collection (Vector or
ArrayList or Hashtable), I want to search for all the names which are not
there in the collection

I have tried the below code to implement the 1st problem but the search
returns 0 result

Analyzer analyzer = new WhitespaceAnalyzer();

boolean createFlag = true;

IndexSearcher searcher = new IndexSearcher(indexDir1);

Query query = new TermQuery(new Term("name", "Z*"));

When I execute teh above code the search is returning 0 Hits.

If I give the full name "Zane" the search returns 1 Hits.

Thanks in advance,

Babu