From: abdul aleem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 8:22:54 AM
Subject: Indexing large files

Hi There,

I have been working with Lucene API for the past 1 day

we are in the process of building a log viewer tool,

this is how the log file looks

[2006-12-11 01:52:40.179] [lon0571xus] [DEBUG] [TIE
heartbeat monitor (monitor.heartbeat.fxstreamrates)]
[unknown] [] [] ActiveRateServerIdList - received
hearbeat from rate server id [1]

[2006-12-11 01:52:40.180] ...

Search is working as a charm
=============================

If i use a Indexer entire conent of the files is
indexed and lucene gets me the name of the files
containing the keyword with amazing speed

Query how to index Lucene Document
==================================
Im using following to index

Document doc = new Document();
doc.add( new Field(...) , FileReader(f)));

the above helps to take the complete file contents and
QueryParser can check for keywords in the file

a) However i cannot retrieve the search contents using
   Hits,  I believe it is because i have not created
   additional indexes ?,
   Also tried to use sandbox Highlighter it cannot
retrieve the contents inspite of search is successful

b) How to create indexes if i use a FileReader ??
   do I need to use java IO to read entire content
   of file ? and create lucene index?

c) I guess im missing something, appreciate if some
direction is given

d) Lucene in Action does not provide any hints on
creating custom analyzers would appreciate if someone
could give some pointers ??

Many thanks ,

PS:- I actually need to create index based on
timestamp in the log file.