Karl Koch wrote:
If I do not misunderstand that extract, I would say it suggests the combination of coordination level matching with IDF. I am interested in your view and those who read this?

I understand that sentence:
"The natural solution is to correlate a term's matching value with its collection frequency."
exactly in that way, to combine coordination level matching with IDF.

The score for a document is the sum of the term weights w(tf, idf) for each containing term. So you have already the combination of coordination level matching with IDF. Now it is possible that your query requests three terms A, B and C. Two of them (A and B) are quite often in the collection one (C) is very rare. It could be possible that documents are matching just C have a higher score than documents containing A and B. To avoid this you can give the coordination a higher influence by multiplying the sum of term weights with the coordination as additional factor.

Sören