Hi,

How about this:

1) You copy the files that make your index in a new folder
2) You update your index in that new folder (forcing if necessary, old locks
will not be valid)
3) When update is completed, close your readers, and open them on the new
4) Copy the fresh index files to the previous location for next round, where
you won't need the initial copy to a fresh folder.

That way, you won't have to reindex all your documents (assuming only a
small subset needs updating) and will be able to switch to a more up to date
index more easily and often.

Patrick