Hi Eric,

Take a look at http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/releases.html

Clicking through to the appropriate mirror, download/unzip lucene-2.0.0.zip. In it you'll find the jars, contrib, README, demo, etc. It really should contain everything you need outside of the actual Lucene source to get started.

I appreciate your comments on the docs. You have many good suggestions for improvements, especially the definitions, etc. Some of your questions can best be answered by searching for those terms (on Google/Yahoo/Search Engine of Choice) and maybe doing a little reading on Information Retrieval, but I agree a definitions page would be useful as well as some info on what pieces are important to Lucene. One of my hopes/intents/goals for Lucene in '07 is to increase the level of documentation, both at the lower level for developers/committers and at the higher level for end users. As with all open source, however, this takes time and a group effort.

Please contribute back any suggestions that you think will clear things up. See http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/HowToContribute for info on how to give back to Lucene.

As always, search this list and ask questions.

-Grant