: This sounds troubling to me now :) I may need to clear up my
: understanding of this and rework the parser:
: "A | B | C ! D ! E" wold get parsed as allFields:a allFields:b
: (+allFields:c -allFields:d -allFields:e)
: This is because ! binds tighter than |...
: Sounds like I need to bone up on how I thought this query would operate.
: I set up this logic back when I was new to Lucene and have not
: considered it since. Seems as though the hits will be right but perhaps
: the scoring will not be correct?

it depends on your definition of "correct" .. take a look at the
Query.toString and Explanation.toString output from a query for something
like "A X Y B C -D" vs the same results of "A X Y B (C -D)" or "(A X Y B)
(C -D)" .. particulararly when X and Y aren't in the documents and you'll
see what i mean.

I will certainly start experimenting with this. For clarification though, you are telling me that the Lucene syntax query: 'Mark AND pig AND man' is different than the query: '(Mark AND pig) AND man', correct?