Hello-

One of the fields in my index is an ID, which maps to a full text description behind the scenes. Now I want to sort the search results alphabetically according to the description, not the ID. This can be done via SortComparatorSource and a ScoreDocComparator without problems. But the code needed to do this is quite complicated - it involves retrieving the document ID from the ScoreDoc, then looking up the Document through an IndexReader, and then retrieving the ID field from the document. It seems that there should be an easier way to get at the ID field, since that is the one being used for the sort. There is a related class FieldDoc, through which it seems possible to get at the field values, but that doesn't seem applicable here.

I went through the custom sorting example of "Lucene In Action", but that doesn't deal with this case. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance,
Ulf