Hi Ruchika,

Are there are any quote characters in your index (may the Luke be with
you[1])?  If not, you could just remove all quotes from your query
(except the surrounding ones indicating phrase matching, of course), and
things will work, as you have indicated.

Which version of Lucene are you using?  The bug below, a fix for which
was included in the 2.1.0 release, may address your issue:

>From the release notes for 2.1.0[2]:

   7. LUCENE-573: QueryParser now allows backslash escaping in
      quoted terms and phrases. (Michael Busch via Yonik Seeley)

Steve

[1] http://www.getopt.org/luke/
[2]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/tags/lucene_2_1_0/CHANGES.txt