I'd like to add a field to every document in an index... that I'd rather not rebuild from scratch (yet). This is behind Solr (so a ParallelReader won't work without core modifications, right?).

Is there a way I could create an index with the same number of documents and only the new field and "zip" it together with my existing index?

The new field is simply the same value for every document, in order to add new document sets segregated by "source".

        Erik