Grant,
Thanks for your reply and the pointer to the custom code sample. I will be
checking into that today. I did delve into the src for the OOTB analyzers
and was aware of what they did. Still, the StandardAnalyzer does not do what
I want. The real difference between my needs and the results of the
StandardAnalyzer is that what I want is the union of the StandardAnalyzer
and the StopAnalyzer. If you refer back to my original example...

An example of the data might be as follows:
   Hello XY&Z Corporation - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I would like the following terms to come out of the analyzer:
 [hello]  [xy&z]  [corporation] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [com]  //this is the
StandardAnalyzer output
as well as
  [xy] [z]  [abc] [example]

I figured that creating a custom analyzer is the only way to do that, but
unfortunately I am not that familiar with how the analyzers "really" work
internally( I am more of a mathematician than a lexicon).

If you have any other thoughts or ideas I would love to hear.
Thanks,
Tim