I got the following exception this morning when running one last test on a data set that has been indexed many times before over the past few months.

java.io.FileNotFoundException: D:\72ed1\server\Java\Search\00000008\index\00000001\segments_gq9 (Access is denied)
        at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:212)
at org.apache.lucene.store.FSIndexInput$Descriptor.<init>(FSDirectory.java:497)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSIndexInput.<init>(FSDirectory.java:522)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openInput(FSDirectory.java:434)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.read(SegmentInfos.java:180)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos$1.doBody(SegmentInfos.java:235)
at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos$FindSegmentsFile.run(SegmentInfos.java:579)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.read(SegmentInfos.java:232)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.init(IndexWriter.java:385)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:276)

On Windows with Lucene 2.1.

The test was run with only a single thread handling an incoming queue of 155K requests with ~200K documents so there is no concurrency issue. There is no optimisation going on. I am warming a new searcher every minute (for load) using a new reader.

I know that one of the files being indexed has a virus and when I came back to the machine the virus scanner had popped up at some point, so my suspicions are that it is the cause. I am running the test again, but can any of the gurus give any ideas what can cause this.

It did have to happen the day after my deadline :(

Antony