This is possible, but the problem here is performance. Why is it not possible
to support pagination in a more efficient way? Suppose, a Searcher looks
through Documents and find the matching ones. Theoretically, it can stop
searching when the result hit number gets more than a threshold. Searcher
may save it's state (reference to the last matched document) whithin the
searcher instance, making it possible for incremental search.

What is the restriction here in Lucene indices structure, which prevents us
from having this kind of search?