"Tony Qian" wrote on 19/04/2007:

> I found the problem which slowed down indexing. It is our NFS file
system.

If only the index is maintained on NFS (say input is on local disk or DB or
such) it may help to index to local disk and only occasionally (once a
day?) copy/update to an index maintained on NFS (and used there for search
I assume). A faster NFS is much simpler/better of course. But if this
delayed NFS update is of interest to you, perhaps try it first, roughly,
and if deciding to go this way, there were a few relevant discussions
lately on ways to safely/efficiently copy from a dynamic (updating) index
to another index. Mmm... thinking of the mentioned complexities of this
copying not sure I would go this way, - but - it might suit you, and
perhaps other can add on their experience with this type of setup.

Doron