From: "Erick Erickson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Index sync up
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:12:16 -0400

<4> is also easy....

From the javadoc:
"*Caution:* Iterate only over the hits needed. Iterating over all hits is
generally not desirable and may be the source of performance issues."

So an iterator should be fine for all documents, even those > 100. But do be
aware that the entire query gets re-executed each 100 docs or so, so yes,
there is a performance issue. You'll pay a price how big depends on a lot of
variables. But let's say the query takes 2 seconds to run. You'll spend two
seconds searching before returning document 0, two more seconds between
documents 100 and 101, two seconds between 200 and 201, etc. *even if you
just throw them away* if you use an iterator.

So, getting hits 10,000 through 10,100 will spend a LOT if time processing
queries. You're better off using a HitCollector, perhaps a TopDocs etc.

On the other hand, if your query takes 10 ms and you never really expect to
fetch more than, say, 500 documents, who cares? Do it as simply as possible.

But now that I'm thinking about it, it's unclear to me what happens if you
just ask for Hits.doc(401) as your first call to get any document from the
Hits object. I took a quick look at the Hits code and it *looks* like, for
fetching an arbitrary 100 documents, the maximum number of searches you'll
make is two. Again, it's a quick look, but it seems like the following

Hits hits = search();
Document doc = hits.doc(401);

will execute the search twice. First to get the first 100 docs, then to get
documents 400-800. At least I think that's what's happening. That said, I
think you'd still be ahead by implementing your own HitCollector if you
expect to fetch thousands of documents.... The "fetch twice as many
documents as the one we're asked for" algorithm seems tailored for
relatively small data sets, which shouldn't be any surprise......

Erick