From: Mark Miller [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 4:03 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: MergeFactor advice wanted

I think it is worth your time to do some benchmarking. I think
mergeFactor is not very helpful in the end...if you set it high, you'll
index faster but then your searches will be slower prompting you to
optimize...after which you'll find that you paid all your gains back.
Test things out for yourself, but I'd recommend a low merge factor and
then you can forget about the hassle of optimizing. Amortize, amortize...

- Mark