Hi everyone,

I have an application that indexes/searches xml documents using Lucene. I'm having a problem with what looks like a memory leak, which occurs when indexing a large number of documents, but only when the application is running under JVM 1.6. Under JVM 1.5 there is no problem. What happens is that the memory allocated consistently rises during indexing until the JVM crashes with an OutOfMemory exception.

I'm using Lucene 2.1, and am using Maik Schreiber's LuceneIndexAccess API, which hands out references to cached IndexWriter/Reader/Searchers to objects that need to use them, and handles closing and re-opening IndexSearchers after documents are added to the index. The application is running under Tomcat 6.

I'm a bit out of my depth determining the source of the leak - I've tried using Netbeans profiler, which shows a large number of HashMap instances that survive a long time, but these are created by many different classes so it's difficult to pinpoint one source.

Has anyone found similar problems with Lucene indexing operations running under JVM 1.6? Does anyone have any suggestions re how to deal with this?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve