See Paul's e-mail, he's talking about a place I haven't been in Lucene
yet.

Other than that, see below....

On 5/19/07, Peter Bloem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. So I run the first query on the
collection index, get a set of collection id's from that. But how do I
use them in the second query on the document index? It should be easy
enough to retrieve all documents in the returned collections (which is
what I'm after), but then I want to rank them as if they had the
collection's term vector as a field. Is there some way to modify a
document just prior to processing?

You could think about boosting on the "collectionid" based on the
ranking in the first query. NOTE: I really have no idea whether this
would be satisfactory or not, so please post what you find out if
you try it.

Say your first query returned values like
collectionid     score
88                   0.80
63                   0.45
100                 0.20

You might then build up a query something like...

text:the text from the query AND
   (collectionID:88^8 OR CollectionID:63^4.5 OR CollectionID:100^2)..
(NOTE, not very good Lucene query syntax here<G>).

Which *should* help weight the results by collectionID
by how "well" the query matched the collection vector.

You'll have to delve into the scoring and boosting. For instance, if you get
your collection IDs from a HitCollector, the scores will be raw. That is,
not
between 0.0 and 1.0. Also, you may want to boost the text term in the
second query depending upon how you want to bias hits in the
actual text of the document.

You could also do this manually. That is, you've generated a list
of collection IDs and scores anyway. Just keep it around, execute
your second query without reference to the collectionIDs
(i.e. text: text of query), and then use a HitCollector and massage the
scores as you see fit. Think about using a FieldSortedHitQueue to sort
the results. If you do this, also think about going directly to your index
via TermEnum/TermDocs to get the collection IDs associated with each
doc rather than using IndexReader.document(ID). See the warning in
HitCollector.collect().

I have several thousand collections, but the number of collections
matching a query should remain quite small. The collections contain
about as much text as a small webpage, so the chance that one query
matches huge amounts of collections is small. If this does become a
problem, I could still store the document id's. My data won't change, so
there's no danger of the document id's changing. The end result of the
project has to look like a production system, but it doesn't have to be
one. :)

I don't see how storing the doc IDs makes the problem better. Building up
the OR clause would seem to be worse since there's a many-to-one
relationship between the document IDs and collection IDs. Your clause
would only get bigger.

I can see why using Lucene like a database is worrying. There's already
the problem of referential integrity (what if you update
document/collection id's), which databases do well, and Lucene doesn't
do at all (as there doesn't seem to be a standard mechanism for this
sort of thing). On the other hand, I don't think this technique is very
new. I think it's a common smoothing method in xml element retrieval
(smoothing an element with the contents of its ancestor elements). So
surely this sort of thing gets done a lot. I guess there are bound to be
some limits to the inverse index that require less pretty tricks like
these.

Which is one of the reasons I mentioned collection IDs. Since you control
them, they don't need to change ever. You can freely update their content
as you add documents without having to regenerate the entire index.

But you're right, referential integrity is not part of Lucene. And I doubt
if it
ever will be, it's just not part of what Lucene is designed to do. There was
a very interesting thread a while ago about embedding Lucene in an Oracle
database. Since it's not relevant to my problem space, I barely skimmed it,
but
if you search the archive for posts authored by Marcelo Ochoa, you'll find
them.

Best
Erick

regards,