: just need to access a few fields, and those are all fields that are in fact
: stored (and indexed too). I was thinking of keeping this extra information
: in memory, precisely into an array mapping doc ids to the data structure. I

if the fields you need are indexed and single valued (and untokenized) the
FieldCache will do this for you.

It is also what is used for sorting, so using it instead of your own hand
rollwed cache will save you some space, not to mention simplifing the work
you have to do...

: ids that are passed to the collector. But that said, I don't know how to
: keep this array synchronized with the index. I've opened a new thread for
: this subject, "maxDoc and arrays".

-Hoss