From: Dino [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 9:54 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: searching for empty field

Hi Everyone,

I have a lucene index were I add a document with a set of metadata. In
my system, all the fields in the metadata set needn't be there all the
time for a given document.

Say if I am expecting a metadata set like
        Field1:{yes|no}
        [Field2:{val_1[,val_2]... }]
        Field3:val_X

Here the Field2 is the one that I am having trouble with.

Currently when I get a document with a bunch of Field:Value metadata, I
run them in a loop and create Field object relying on the metadata
input. That way the data source decides the number of fields attached to
a particular document. Fields like Field2 will be left out if it didn't
appear in the input.

So if I get a document like

        Field1:yes
        Field3:val_X
        DATA DATA DATA DATA ..... DATA

The document in the index wouldn't have field2 attached to it.

Now my question is how will I search for all the documents with *empty*
Field2?

Cheerio