yu wrote:
Thanks Sawan for the suggestion.
I guess this will work for statically known doc ids. In my case, I know only external ids that I want to exclude from the result set.for each search. Of course, I can always exclude these docs in a post search process. I am curious if there are other more efficient approach.

When you open a searcher, you could create a cached array of all your external Ids with their Lucene DocId. Using a custom HitCollector, which can be created with the Ids you wish to exclude, you can get a document's external Id during the collect() method using the docid. Then just check the external Id of the matched document against the exclusion list.

As long as you have your searcher open, the cache will remain valid.
Antony

Thanks again for your help.

Jay

Sawan Sharma wrote:
Hello Jay,

I am not sure up to what level I understood your problem . But as far as my assumption, you can try HitCollector class and its collect method. Here you
can get DocID for each hit and can remove while searching.

Hope it will be useful.

Sawan
(Chambal.com inc. NJ USA)