What version of Lucene are you using?

As of 2.1, Lucene should remove such partially created files
immediately on hitting the OOM exception, and if somehow it failed to
do that (eg if JVM had crashed or machine running JVM crashed, etc) it
should then remove them the next time a writer is created on the

However, versions before 2.1 can leave partial files in the index
indefinitely (ie requiring manual removal).

Mike