This new Wiki page has a number of best practices for maximizing your
indexing speed:

    http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ImproveIndexingSpeed

Also, if appropriate you can try testing with the trunk version of
Lucene which includes substantial optimizations (from LUCENE-843).
Usual caveat: this is not yet released and may have sneaky bugs,
so, use at your own risk....

With LUCENE-843, both the indexing speed and the RAM efficiency of
IndexWriter have been greatly improved such that you can fit more docs
into each MB of RAM (depending on how small the docs are).

Mike