Hi everybody !

I'm asking myself about the way Lucene deals with deleting documents.
As far as I know, a document is identified by a document number, but this document number is not reliable for long-term issues as it may change on segment merging. The way Lucene deletes documents' data from the index questions me, cause it relies on terms (or document number, which as told above is not reliable, and must be retrieved from a request). The methods I've found for deleting documents from the index are those from IndexWriter and IndexReader classes, deleteDocuments(term ) or deleteDocuments(term[] ). These methods deletes the index'entries containing the given term. According to the API javadoc, deleteDocuments(term[] ) will delete each file that contains at least one of the given terms: if it really works in this way, I don't really understand why it's does so. Wouldn't it be more useful if it deleted each file containing *all of* the given terms? (or maybe it'is the way it works actually?) These reflexions lead me to conclude that, in order to be able to remove the entries of a specific document in a Lucene index, we must store an untokenized field to identify each document solely. I find it strange having to use such an "artifice" to keep traces of documents independantly. It's not very impeding, it's just... strange.
Any contributive thinkings on this matter are welcome :)

Thanks for reading,

Samuel