Nobody can answer that question, you have to test in your particular
situation. Filters are very efficient to use once created, can be created
once and used often, etc.

Adding a special value to stand for an empty field is conceptually
simple, and queries are straight forward.

Unless you can demonstrate that there are speed issues, which method
you choose is largely a matter of taste. Spending valuable programming
time improving query response time by 0.000001% is...er...less than
a good expenditure of time.

Best
Erick