Kai,

The context I'm going to work with requires a continuous addition of
documents to the indexes, since it's user-driven content, and this
would require the content to be always up-to-date.
This is the problem I'm facing, since I cannot rebuild a 1Gb (at
least) index every time a user inserts a new entry into the database.

I know Digg, for instance, is using Lucene as search engine: since the
amount of data they're dealing with is much higher than mine, I would
like to understand the way they used to implement this kind of
solution.

Thank you again.
Antonello