Donna,

Now I understand what you are saying (seems that I had PBCAK as well ;-)

As for your last question: ...under what conditions would the highlighter
return nothing? Only if no terms matched?

I remember that I found that highlighter can return null or empty string in
different situations. I think it depends on the Analyzer used or something
like that...

BR
Lukas