I want to set documents in my IndexReader as deleted, but I will never commit these deletions. Sort of a filter on a reader rather than on a searcher, and no write-locks.

Can I do that out of the box?

Perhaps I can pass down a IndexDeletionPolicy to my IndexWriter that ignores deletions from the IndexReader(s) to avoid the lock?

Changing the directory lock factory it will effect the IndexWriter locks too? So that would not be an option, or?

I could go hacking in IndexReader, definalizing it for decoration of deleteDocument(int), or something like that, but would really prefere not to.

This is for a transactional layer on top of Lucene, where I combine the system index with a transactional index. Updated documents that are represented in the transaction index must be filtered out from the system index at IndexReader level without creating write-locks. undeleteAll() would be an option if there was no locks -- more than one transaction could be updating documents at the same time.

--
karl